The Cambridge String Players was formed in 1973 by the late Trevor Moore (1908-1998), formerly Head of Mathematics at the Leys School. He was a keen amateur musician all his life, originally as a pianist and singer, and later as a 'cellist. His aim was to establish a small orchestra for those, like himself, who loved the orchestral string repertoire.
Originally, the players were known as the Harston String Orchestra, after Trevor's home village. Then from 1988 they took their name from a new rehearsal location and became the Barton String Orchestra. They were conducted at that time by Ken Naylor, until his unexpected death in 1991, when John Bass took over, having played as a soloist with the orchestra the previous season. The orchestra flourished under his baton until his professional commitments took him away from Cambridge.
In October 2000 his place was taken by Leon Lovett, who had moved to the area, following a professional conducting career spanning more than 40 years.
On moving its rehearsal venue into Cambridge in January 2001, it was decided to rename the orchestra The Cambridge String Players.
Under its new name and conductor the group has continued to grow and develop and the standard has risen still further.